August 23, 2009

What Glorifies God the Most



I was recently looking at a couple of my friends blogs when I came across one in particular that sparked a sermon in me. He wrote what he called his "spiritual autobiography," and what grabbed my attention was his burning questions concerning "how do best glorify God with my life?" and "I have my faith.......but I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do with it." I sensed a brokenness and a desperation to know what was missing-----and mind you, this guy is a Christian. I know him to be very sincere and real, so I felt a wave of compassion fall over me for him. I also became really excited because I knew the answers he was looking for. I decided to sit down for about an hour and type this answer to the question, "what glorifies God the most? :


"you shall love."

I know, with absolute certainty, that the answer you are seeking for (and what everybody else on this planet is seeking for) is right there. It's simple enough for anyone to understand, and that is why, I believe, Jesus called it the greatest commandment. Anyone can do it. You don't have to be educated or rich. You don't have to be intelligent or talented or athletic. You don't have to have anything but you. Just you, and that's it. You can love anyone, at any time. .....think about this....

When your life is over, and the fruit of your life is presented to God-------what will matter? What will last? What did Jesus do that revealed what is most important to God?

Jesus was crucified, willingly. He was brutally killed-----and why? Because He loved you. Everything He did during his three years of ministry was in light of what he would do on His cross. And I called it His cross because it belonged to Him. He chose to take it, and He chose to die on it. And He died on it because He loved you. All of the healings, deliverances, dead-raisings, and other miracles He did were made possible by this same act of love: His death---- on His cross. This glorified God more than anything else could, and I'll tell you why.

---- you wrote this in your post:
"I knew that we were made for Gods glory, but how were we to do that? How are we to best glorify God in our lives? It is my belief that we can best glorify God by being as close to what he originally designed us to be, but what is that really?"

This is my reply:
The greatest way to glorify God is to take up my cross. Read this in Matthew 16:24...

" Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."

His cross and my cross both symbolize and demonstrate the same thing: love.

And the reason why love glorifies God more than anything else is because "God is love."(1 John 4) God is "revealed" and "glorified" through my works of love. Notice that Jesus said "He will reward each according to his works." I asked you, in the beginning of this message, what will matter when the fruit of your life is shown before God-----and I boldly declare to you this:

.... it is the fruit of all those things which were done in LOVE. It is those things which were done when you denied yourself and took up your cross for someone else.

But what are those things? What are works of love?
The answers to these two questions are found in Jesus Christ, the Son of Man. I said, "the Son of Man," because this is what He called Himself. The reason? Because as a man, He would need to choose to love people, just like you do. As a man, He would need the Spirit of God to do miracles, just like you do. Because as a man, He could "do nothing of himself" (John 5:29) And the works He did....the "works of love" that He did.... as "the Son of Man" were marvelous.

He healed every sick person who came to Him for healing. He cast demons out of every oppressed person brought to Him. He cleansed lepers. He raised the dead. He preached the gospel of the Kingdom with authority wherever He went, saying " Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand!" and then He demonstrated His authority by "healing all who were oppressed by the devil" (Acts 10:38).....as the Son of Man.

Now----- the reason I'm talking about these works Jesus did is because I believe God has created you and me to glorify Him in the same way the Son of Man did....."to do the works of God." (John 6:28) And Jesus said this Himself:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father." (John 14:12)
"And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." (John 14:13)

I believe the Word of God is true. I believe it with all of my heart. and therefore------ I believe we glorify God the best when we love people.........the way Jesus did. And since His Spirit lives in us, he still loves people the same exact way as He did then, as it is written in our bibles. "For Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Heb 13:8)

Therefore, I conclude that His church, which is his body on earth, should do the same things He did while He walked on earth. In essence, He should be walking around on earth still----NOW----in us, as His current body. For He said, "the Kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:21)

Therefore, we should preach "this gospel of the Kingdom" (Matt 24:14) as He did, "heal every sickness and every disease among the people" (Matt 9:35) as He did, "cast out demons with a word" (Matt 8:16) as He did, "raise the dead" (Matt 10:8) as He did. I'm talking about a life full of power and authority in the Name of Jesus.

Paul said, "the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk, but of power." (1 Cor 4:8) All of these acts of love were done with power..... and are encompassed by one statement Jesus made about Himself.
"for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

This is the "fruit that will last!" (John 15:16) To seek and SAVE the lost. This is what will matter to God when the FRUIT of our life is presented before Him. He cares about people! They are the beautiful FRUIT that will last.....because a soul lasts for eternity.

And He loves us.

Our bodies will perish with our earthly accomplishments, and our riches will not go with us. "For what can a man give in exchange for his soul?" The soul of a human being is the "fruit that will last," and Jesus said he chose us and appointed us that we should bear "MUCH fruit." (John 15:16)
But none of this will happen if we will not obey His command to "Go"..... "preach the gospel".... "make disciples...." and, remember, "teaching them to observe everything I've commanded you." (Matt 28:18-20) His command is simple, if you're willing to hear it. He just wants us to love people.....like He does. "Not in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit...." (1 Thess 1:5)

You, as well as every other man or woman who calls his or herself a Christian, MUST take up your cross and deny yourself for the people around you.... for this glorifies God more than anything else. May God give me grace to love people today. :)



"You shall love...." (Mark 12:30-31)

No comments: